Residential Business Major Industries Transport Municipalities Partners About

In case of an emergency

Call 9-1-1 . If this service is not available in your region, call 1 800 361-8003 .

Smell gas

Natural gas is odourless. A very smelly substance is added so leaks can be detected. This substance, called mercaptan, gives off a strong smell of rotten eggs.

What to do?

1. Avoid flames and sparks.

  • Do not smoke.
  • Do not turn on any appliance near the leak, not even a cell phone or a light switch – static electricity could produce a spark.

2. Leave the building immediately or move well away from the leak if you are already outdoors.

  • Without delaying your exit, on your way out, you could open doors and windows (or leave them open) to ensure maximum ventilation.

3. Call 9-1-1.

Feeling dizzy, nauseous or you have a headache

If you are feeling dizzy or nauseous, or you have a headache, especially near a natural gas appliance, leave the building immediately and call medical services at 9-1-1.

An appliance that is not working properly can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Other unusual situations, such as a flood, ice storm or abundant snow, may call for special measures being taken. 

These are covered under Prevention Basics.

Have your appliances been around 

for many years?

To save even more , perhaps it is time to replace them by new high energy - efficient ones Take advantage of grants available to upgrade your equipment 

See grants