Residential Business Major Industries Transport Municipalities Partners About

In case of an emergency

Call 9-1-1. If this service is not available in your region, call 1 800 361-8003.

Smell gas

Natural gas is odourless. A very smelly substance is added so leaks can be detected. This substance, called mercaptan, gives off a strong smell of rotten eggs.

What to do?

1. Avoid flames and sparks.

  • Do not smoke.
  • Do not turn on any appliance near the leak, not even a cell phone or a light switch – static electricity could produce a spark.

2. Leave the building immediately or move well away from the leak if you are already outdoors.

Without delaying your exit, on your way out, you could open doors and windows (or leave them open) to ensure maximum ventilation.

3. Call 9-1-1.

If this service is not available in your region, call 1 800 361-8003.

Feeling dizzy, nauseous or you have a headache

If you are feeling dizzy or nauseous, or you have a headache, especially near a natural gas appliance, leave the building immediately and call medical services at 9-1-1. An appliance that is not working properly can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Other unusual situations, such as a flood, ice storm or abundant snow, may call for special measures being taken. These are covered under Prevention Basics.

Have your appliances been around for many years?

To save even more, perhaps it's time to replace them by new high energy-efficient ones. Take advantage of grants available to upgrade your equipment.

See grants