Price of natural gas
Energy is a big part of your operating costs, and it is important to keep it under control. Reducing your energy bill means more money for your business. The price of natural gas is cheaper than oil. These savings could mean a chance to reinvest in your business to increase your productivity.1
Chart comparing annual energy costs1 equivalent to 5,143 m3 (100% heating) .
Reduce your energy costs
Natural gas has been less expensive than fuel-oil. Lower your energy bill by installing natural gas equipment. Not only natural gas costs less, it is also more powerful than fuel oil.
Many people are not aware that Énergir does not make any profit on the price of the natural gas it supplies. The only service on which Énergir is authorized to make a profit is distribution. The price of the natural gas supplied is subject to monthly fluctuations. They account for about 30% of the gas bill of a business customer that consumes between 15,000 m3 and 50,000 m3, the consumption of an average-sized business.
To manage all aspects of gas supply more effectively, Énergir has also adopted a portfolio approach to gas purchases, actually buying from many different suppliers in order to diversify its sources geographically. Just one of the ways Énergir makes sure its customers enjoy the best price possible.
The natural gas bill is composed of five services: natural gas supply, transportation, load balancing, distribution and cap-and-trade emission allowances system. The natural gas supply price, can be stabilized with the fixed price service. If you are looking for budget stability then the fixed price service is for you.
About the fixed price service
The fixed price supply service is offered by natural gas suppliers. You can choose between the variable price offered by Énergir or the fixed price. The fixed price service can meet your need for financial stability since it targets the two most volatile services of your gas bill. You'll know in advance what price you'll pay for the natural gas supply . It can be compared to a fixed-rate mortgage. The main objective of the fixed price service is budget stability and not making savings. This service is offered to customers, like you, who consume a minimum of 7,500 m³ and a maximum of 1,168,000 m³ per year.
How does it work?
- You agree on a price and terms with the participating supplier of your choice and sign an undertaking document. Énergir receives a copy of this document and buys the natural gas on your behalf from the participating supplier for your agreed-upon price and term. To confirm your enrollment to the fixed price natural gas service, you must sign and return the confirmation sheet that will be sent to you by Énergir, within the specified timeframe.To help you make an informed decision, take note that this confirmation sheet presents the history of the regulated monthly variable price.
- Énergir then bills you for the natural gas at the price you agreed upon for the term of the agreement, without any extra charges. It takes 60 days to implement this service after Énergir receives the undertaking document.
- If the participating supplier cannot meet its commitments, the client will revert automatically to Énergir's variable price because the fixed price service is not guaranteed by Énergir.
- To learn more, see the Frequently asked questions on fixed price.
Who are participating suppliers?
- The participating suppliers are independent companies that specialize in buying natural gas and reselling it to individuals and companies. The participating suppliers must abide by the minimum commercial practices established by Énergir. These practices ensure that the client is well informed and well served.
- You may opt for the participating supplier of your choice. We encourage you to be well informed before committing yourself.
1 According to the prices in effect from July 1, 2021 to August 31, 2022. Based on Énergir rates and those of Hydro-Québec approved by the Régie de l’énergie; takes into account base electric consumption and rack price of oil with 2% sulfur including, in particular, transport, distribution and CATS.